Intro

Hi, my name is Phil and this blog describes a Solo Round The World Motorcycle Trip I am starting in May 2012. The blog also contains info on other motorbike trips I have made. It is named after the Lee Marvin hit from the 1969 film Paint Your Wagon. It just seems to sum up how I feel when I am on the road. I was born..etc..etc..

If you would like to give your support and make a donation to the Anthony Nolan Trust please use the Virgin Money Giving link on the right. If you would like to advertise on the blog please email me at philjones060@gmail.com.

Sunday 26 February 2012

Morocco 2006

Just a few lines about a trip I made in 2006 to Morocco via France and Spain on Triumph Tiger 955i.

Great trip covering 7000 miles in 14 days.  One of the highlights was bumping into the Hairy Bikes in a Hotel on the edge of the Sahara.  Good lads but sadly they had arrived by Range Rover.

My route for this trip was from my home near Liverpool via Dover to Calais, through France, across the Pyrenees, across Spain to get the ferry from Algeciras to Tangier.  From Tangier I followed the coast down through Casablanca to Essaouira.  From Essaouira I headed inland to Marrakech and then on to Fez, Erfoud, Merouga and Erg Chebbi at the edge of the Western Sahara.

Roadside Snap


Accomodation in Marrakech


This is a snap of the Dades Gorge.  An amazing oasis at the base of the valley is kept green by the river which is all but dried up in the summer. In the winter it is prone to flash floods and has claimed many lives over the years.  A great road to ride but it's a dead end.  I got early the next day and rode it again cos it is so good. 


Not a soul for miles and miles and then a random group of camels. Had a heck of a job trying to get them to stay still so I could get the bike in the same shot.


Typical tents at Erg Chebbi



The dunes at Erg Chebbi are amazing and really make you feel like you have reached the sahara. Its a long way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment